Saturday, 27 August 2011

Life, Love and Loathing Letters - Life

So the final one in my small collection, I would say I will keep adding to them, but I highly doubt there will ever be a time where I would meet people in such an environment which would cause me to write these again. This was written to my good friend Genevieve, and is the original one of the collection. I hope you enjoy it!
You asked me to write a letter about life. Of all the things I have written, I have never covered the subject of life. I figure I am going to write you a letter about what I have learnt while living my life that I would be happy to say I did.
The first is try everything once. I wouldn’t be here or have met you if I didn’t follow that. I think you should definitely try something new every opportunity you get. It leads to a full and interesting life and gives experience to make someone wiser.
Next, try living everyday like it is your last. Live within your means but also try and enjoy yourself everyday you’re on this earth, because that car crash could be right round the corner.
Put fun before boredom. What I mean is, if in doubt, do what you think will be the most fun, in your academic and working life especially. We only live once so it may as well be a happy one, you will always do better if you’re having fun.
The saying ‘keep your friends close and your enemies closer’ is bullshit. Keep your friends the closest. Your friends are always the people who will pull you out of any trouble. You will always find your friends in times of hardship. Don’t do what many people I have met have done and get too caught up with a partner and lose their friends, because when that person leaves, who do you have to fall back on?
Be happy and proud of where you come from. Don’t be embarrassed by it, it has helped you shape you into you and it makes you unique. Always be proud of your roots because it will give you the perfect grounding in life.
Exploit your talents. Not just if you are good at sport or art, but things like being kind, friendly and fun. If you exploit these you will always go further and enjoy things more.
Take compliments to heart. They are not dished out often so when they are keep them and enjoy them. It makes the hard work in whatever you do worth it.
Finally, be yourself. It is the only person you can be. It only brings unhappiness if you are something you are not. People hate fake personalities; they will appreciate you more if you are genuine. There isn’t a need for you to change for people, if they don’t like you for who you are, somebody else will. This is the one I most struggle with myself, it bothers me what other people think, when it shouldn’t, and it is taken me until now to realise this.
So I would like to think that when I am laid out at death’s door and I look back, if I have followed this, I will smile and breathe a sigh of relief, because I will have won life’s game.
So maybe you learnt something, maybe you didn’t. You may treasure this, or toss it in the trash. Maybe I have just wasted some precious moments of your life in reading this. This is what I want to live by, I don’t always do it, life gets in the way, but I try to get as close as I can.
But when all is said and done, the biggest advice for life is there is no advice; just take it as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment